meta http-equiv=”refresh” content=”0;URL=’http://www.wellfieldchurch.com/'” / wellfield church: I know what's best for me!

Pages

I know what's best for me!

As a child, I remember thinking how odd it is that you only see the world through your eyes. Other people have a whole different view of the world. You can never see theirs. Only your own. So at the end of the day, their viewpoint doesn't really matter that much. (Weird child? Probably. Should have just been watching Bagpuss like everyone else.) The truth is, most of us grow up only really caring about our own viewpoint.

The biggest problem is that we even think in those terms in relation to the God who sees all things. Because I think I've been running my life, I think I know what's best for me.

Here's a quote from Stephen Altrogge's book, 'The Greener Grass Conspiracy':
"In Psalm 23:2-3 David says of the Lord, 'He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.' Notice that David doesn't say, 'I plot the best course for my life. I am the captain of my ship. I will go wherever my heart desires.' David realises that God is his shepherd, his captain, his leader. God will lead him to places of rest. God will restore his soul God will lead him in righteousness.
"We're convinced that a particular thing will bring peace, order and restoration to our souls. We look around, and we see the other people who have what we want, and they look so happy. They skip down the street holding the hands of their little children. They gaze into the eyes of their lovers. The smile as they mow the lawn of their new five-bedroom, four-bath, three-car-garage house. Meanwhile, our lives seem so whacked out and dysfunctional.
"But we really don't know what's best for our souls. If God allowed us to follow our own plans, we wouldn't end up on paths of righteousness that leads to still waters. We would end up in empty, barren wastelands of sin and destruction. God is the one who restores our soul. Sometimes he restores us by giving us what we desire, and sometimes he restores us by withholding it..."

My view of the world is not only one among billions. It's minuscule compared to God's. I need to keep remembering, he knows best.