meta http-equiv=”refresh” content=”0;URL=’http://www.wellfieldchurch.com/'” / wellfield church: Using down time to build up

Pages

Using down time to build up


It's one thing to do the things we have to. (Like what the boss tells us, for example; or like preparing for Sunday Club in time.) But what about the things that don't make a difference if we don't? What about: reading a good book, reading the bible, praying, planning ahead, fixing things that could actually wait, calling someone we could call tomorrow just as well...


In the profound words of Reggie Perrin, 'The problem with living for the moment is that it buggers up the next moment.' Bit rude, but true. Let's think it through: I can put off reading a good Christian book. It doesn't make any real difference for today. I don't feel like I've missed out. But if I read good stuff regularly, I'll be growing in ways I didn't know I needed to. I'll be learning things I didn't know were there to learn. I'll be spotting areas of godliness I didn't know I needed to grow in.


I can survive without. Like I can survive without good meals. In time, though, I'd be healthier with them. If we want to be growing as Christians, living productive lives, being useful to others - then we need to learn the habits of useful things that others won't see immediately.


'... make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.' (2 Peter 1:5-8)