meta http-equiv=”refresh” content=”0;URL=’http://www.wellfieldchurch.com/'” / wellfield church: Greatness in service: review of 'We Were Soldiers'

Pages

Greatness in service: review of 'We Were Soldiers'

In the film 'We Were Soldiers' you see a quality in Mel Gibson's character, Lt Col Hal Moore. The devout Catholic Military leader is given the task of flying his team into Vietnam at the start of the American involvement in the conflict. The film follows the true story of how he prepared, led and cared for his division to the very moment they withdrew from the field. Facing off against impossible odds, Moore is seen as the servant of all whilst displaying some of the most manly, brave, courageous and heart warming care for people under this charge. His speach early on sums up his attitude beautifully - he intends to be the first man on the battlefield - and the last one off it.



I think this is an example of what it means to be the least among all. Moore never let his rank or prestige elevate him above his troops to the point where he no longer cared for them. He prays for a troubled soldier. You even see him taking an horrified soldier who's accidentally called an airstrike on his own team mates and lovingly calling him back to the work he MUST do in order to save their lives.


For me this has called me back to reality. I could enjoy the sun, take a break, relax. Take the much needed rest time - surely i deserve it? But Jesus would call me back to the hard work that still needs doing... Is it wrong to enjoy the good things of life? No, of course not. They're gifts from a loving creator. But for the Christian, the world is still in decay. It's rotting and we're to be salt and light, a preservative to retard death and prolong life. We're to be busy at the work Jesus has given us to do. Rest is good, but at the end of the day, if we want to be great and face eternity knowing we did all we could for a broken world, we'll need to knuckle down and do the hard work now.


For me, that means getting on with loving my family, serving their needs and demonstrating what Jesus is like in thought, word and deed. It means praying hard for my mates, their troubles and their needs. It means using time in the best possible way, not wasting it or spreading myself so thinly people get ripped off. Helping people practically. Using my skills to serve them. Spending time with them. Calling them to the God they're rebelling against and begging them to stop being AWOL and get reinstated by their true Commander and Chief, Jesus Christ, who died for them to forgive them.So while you're enjoying the sun, spare a thought for a hurting world in need of a Saviour.For the people who know me, i want to echo Lt. Col Hal Moore.
This is my pledge to you guys...


"Let us understand the situation; we're going into battle against a tough and determined enemy. I can't promise you that I will bring you all home alive, but this I swear, before you and before Almighty God: when we go into battle, I will be the first one to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off. And I will leave no one behind. Dead or alive, we will all come home together. So help me God."Ephesians 6: 12 "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."



(By Martyn)