meta http-equiv=”refresh” content=”0;URL=’http://www.wellfieldchurch.com/'” / wellfield church: Foundations for life, which won’t crumble?

Pages

Foundations for life, which won’t crumble?

You know when a line from a song strikes you? Well, I was struck by a line from a song a while ago. It was: “if all beneath me falls away, I know that you are God”. It got me thinking about what is beneath me, as my foundation? What do I subconsciously and consciously rest and rely on? Where’s my SECURITY? If certain things in my life did fall away, or disappear, what would make it hardest for me to say to God – you ARE God, you are still good, you are still in control? If certain things were taken away from me, would I find it hard to trust God’s goodness and the fact that He is in control? Would I find it hard not to doubt that God is God?

Society tells us that our foundation should be money, or self-belief, or family, or a job – and of course, these things aren’t intrinsically bad, but they can fall away. As a foundation to build our lives on, they can crumble and they can disappoint – and often they do; they are changeable. Sadly a job can be lost, a friend can disappoint, money can all too easily disappear, self-belief can be shattered when we mess up…and if that’s what we rely on, where does that leave us? If our security is in those things it can leave us feeling hopeless and crushed. I’m sure we’ve all felt some degree of the disappointment that comes from misplaced trust, which can leave us feeling empty…
The line of the song particularly struck me because at the time I didn’t have a job, income was low, the future was uncertain and it was hard. BUT it struck me that it was not a completely hopeless and crushing situation, because my foundation isn’t in a job, or in money; it is in God; He is so good, He is so loving and HE is the only who who doesn’t change or fall away. It’s all very well to know the theory, but it’s quite something else to cling onto God when times are tough and other things do fall away and I pray God will keep me saying that He is God, completely good and in control, even when those inevitably tough times come.

Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in him at all times, you people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.’
Psalm 62:5-8
(By Natalie)